While I am part of the generation of "digital natives", I find myself conflicted between supporting a transition into a digital medium and finding comfort with the consistency and history of print texts. On one hand, I acknowledge the flexibility and innovative nature of a digital medium. It allows for a more interdisciplinary and broad absorption of information. On the other, however, many critics say this can cause attention disorders, and I do certainly notice the fact that dependence on technology is making my generation lose focus and depth on individual texts. But this controversy on mediums ultimately brings up fundamental questions on education, and the nature of learning, that I grapple with as a University student seeking to make the most of my educational experience. Is it more valuable to learn broad interdisciplinary material, that leaves us more well rounded but less informed on a particular subject or to be an expert on a specific field?
The first option actually reminds me of the mission of GLS, giving its students an inter-connected education, that may sometimes appear broad, but provides a basis for future exploration. This is similar to the concept of the Internet, when reading one thing can lead to another, and gives the reader the chance to take initiative and a more active role in attaining further knowledge. This brings me to my next focus on this issue. Digital texts do not just change our relationship with knowledge, pushing us to question how it is we wish to learn, but it challenges our relationship with the text and, consequently, our relationship with the author. When we read, are we supposed to fully immerse ourselves into the words of the author? We chose to read a certain book, often based on the author, so is it natural to be submissive to the intentions of the author? Or should the reader participate more in their reading experience, making their own decisions about where they want the reading to take them? While both options have their validity, it is hard to deny that digital mediums give the author less authority, therefore diminishing the permanent, sacred nature of a text. This is a shame in many ways, how can we admire and esteem talented authors if their works are no longer seen as unchangeable? Is being a talented author still esteemed if, due to the digital text, more people can be authors? While I like the idea of being able to actively participate and control my own interpretation and experience in reading something, and being able to see easily become an author myself on the internet, as the daughter of a writer, I worry that something very special would be lost without the unique respect of an author and the permanent and timeless nature of print texts. I am particularly excited to explore the similarity between the change in reading and writing experiences and the change in our educations, in terms of what knowledge is and how we value it.

Nice comparison between the broad curriculum of GLS and the broad information available on the internet! When the debate of short attention spans and lack of depth of research comes up, I always think to myself that the vast availability of information leaves the research up to the reader. If one is easily distracted, they won't have the same experience as someone who is taking advantage of all the internet has to offer!
ReplyDelete